M a n i f e s t
of the International Mediation Congress
Mediation on standby on 3./4. May 2019 in Frankfurt am Main
The public congress organized by Integrated Mediation e. V., to which approx. 100 participants from Germany and 10 other countries came together, agreed on 7 basic measures for the efficient strengthening of mediation:
- Coordinate objectives and benefit expectations with all stakeholders involved in the implementation of the mediation, in order to facilitate equal efforts to strengthen mediation.
- Both the understanding of mediation and the terminology need to be coordinated in order to establish a unified picture of mediation and to avoid misunderstandings, irritating suggestions or reports on mediation.
- The examination of the cognitive mediation theory allows a scholarly work-up and the development of a universally binding theory of mediation, which contributes to a unified understanding of mediation.
- The implementation of mediation must be measured by the standards of mediation itsself. Before proposing or discussing selective solutions, there is a need for a concerted assessment and an interest of all stakeholders (professions, chambers, associations, policy makers, consumers, citizens), which indicates the importance of the action to be taken and the criteria for the benefits to be achieved.
- The distinctiveness of services in terms of procedures requires a system whereby the procedures and the different types of mediation can be clearly distinguished. Another demand criterion is the unique selling point of mediation. It is better to highlight and match consumer needs so that the benefit of the service is clear and distinguishable. Mediation is not visible through words, but through the attitude turning into actions. Here not just politicians could be an example.
- Work towards a job profile that will make the mediator’s competence independent of the profession of origin. Care must also be taken to ensure that the professional requirements and the rules of mediation are the same for all professional groups, so that all mediators are subject to the same rules and have the same rights and obligations.
- The training must be heading to become a professional full scale mediator, for which the (certified) mediator is only an entry requirement. Accreditation efforts are to be postponed as subordinate because they manifest a false image of mediation quality. Before accreditations establish training standards, standards must be adopted on the mediator’s service and the correct practice of mediation first so that training objectives and content can be consistently implemented.
The implementation of these measures is the responsibility of the politicians, the associations, the chambers and each mediator who wants to promote the healthy development of mediation. The metaportal for mediation www.wiki-to-yes.org supported by the Association of Integrated Mediation is a first, comprehensive step in this direction. The portal is recognized as a platform to be. It provides a complete and independent information base for mediation, in which all mediators and institutions can participate in order to establish a correct, complete and binding picture of mediation and to discuss all issues related to mediation, its derivation , their education, marketing or implementation. Right now the plaform is only available in German language. It ois supposed to be translated in English and Russian languge soon. An explanation of the individual measures can be found on www.in-mediation.eu soon.
Frankfurt / Altenkirchen on 4 May 2019